Wednesday, May 16, 2007

how to do Postcard Photography

Postcard photography is the pursuit of the perfect scenic picture. Anyone can do it. I manage to make a living from this but it's really just about being in the right place at the right time.

How To Get Clear Pictures

I have been asked many times over the years how I get such deep blue skies and clarity in my pictures.

The answer is simple: I only shoot on exceptionally clear days with great visibility.

For the clearest air, shoot in winter. The views are crisp and sharp and distant mountains are distinct. From February to May, I'm madly visiting all my favorite places, building a year's worth of stock which I'll sell during the rest of the year.

As soon as I arrive at a location, I always check the weather forecast for the next few days. I only shoot in good weather. Many times I have stayed in a hotel room for several days before the weather was right.

I spend part of my time on "bad weather" days looking at postcard racks, skimming picture books, and exploring the area. When the weather breaks, I'm ready to get working.

Amateur vs. Professional

The one big difference I've observed between an amateur photographer and a professional is this: when both stop and look at a beautiful scene, the amateur will take one picture and move on while the pro will take many pictures of the same scene at varying times and exposures before moving on.

Of course, the professional has more time available. But the pro knows he or she must get the perfect exposure because their job is riding on it. It's really simple: if a pro doesn't bring back good, usable photography, they won't be asked to shoot again.

Research is key to getting the best shot. Look for a high viewpoint that combines several landmarks in a tight grouping. Plan on spending ample time at your viewpoint, to get the best exposure, light, and composition.

Images That Sell

I usually shoot every good scene in both horizontal and vertical formats. When I first started out, I shot mostly horizontals, and I lost out on a lot of vertical sales. The initial cost of the extra shot is more than offset by the increased sales.

Calendar company buyers appreciate photographers who have images representing all four seasons. In putting together their calendars each year, they like to deal with as few photographers as possible.

All the stock agencies that I deal with only want digital images submitted. I shoot now with a Nikon D200 camera, and my library of over 200,000 transparencies awaits to be scanned.

Most clients now want to see only digital images. I still sell a lot of film to my clients even though it's been less and less over the past five years. So there is still some film buyers out there and probably will be for the near future. I used to shoot with medium-format as, it turned out, size does matter! I still shoot film with my Nikon F5 and Hasselblad X-Pan.

Equipment

I've been asked many times by beginning pros if it's necessary to buy expensive (i.e. 'fast') lenses. In the case of landscape photography, I don't think so. Most of your pictures will be taken on a tripod, so a fast lens is not needed. Most of my landscapes are taken at F16, F22, or F32. The only exception is aerial photography where one or two fast lenses can come in handy.
One of the most important items in a photographer's equipment is a tripod. The larger and heavier the camera, the more a tripod is needed. To get great depth-of-field, which is important for landscape photography, a tripod is a "must."

As far as filters go, I use only one -- a polarizer. This is really a great filter and, when used properly, increases the color saturation of all the hues in a scene (not just the blue in the sky, as some people think). I have polarizers for all my lenses and take them off only when they aren't needed.

Favorite CitiesSan Diego is my favorite city to photograph. I find the beauty of the landscape to be mind-boggling, offering so many beautiful and varied places to photograph.

My other favorite cities to photograph are San Francisco, Boston, New Orleans, New York, Chicago, Montreal, and Vancouver. Along with San Diego, each of these areas has an ambiance that makes it unique. I have shot these cities over and over again and still look forward to going back and doing it another time.

No comments: