Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Through The Lens


In less than a decade, the advances of imaging technology have nearly outstripped our ability to define them, let alone in understanding how they are redefining photography. For most photographers, the vicarious realm of film has always been less a representation of life than it is an affirmation of it. We trade our days to exist in a state of moments, venturing through the lens in an effort to define them. Like others who live by the lens, the relevance of film in my life was not unlike my home - safe and uncontested. I grew up with it. It nurtured me. The camera gave me a direction in life. But the feelings I had experianced over the invasiveness of digital technology with respect to the film medium was akin to watching the house burn down - I seemed able only to stand by and regard it all with a sort of induced chagrin.



So for myself, the only questions that remained were, what next? How could I justify acknowledging something that would make me feel as though I'd sold out? Was I so utterly entrenched with the uneasiness that comes from change that in being contrary I felt above it all?The answer, I found, was to reckon with it and to relearn my craft by embracing the additional perspectives that this astonishing technology afforded me. And while it may be argued that digital has already usurped films dominance, the moments we define will still be done - as always - through the lens...This group is about the art of the shooter and the subjects that matter most to them. Opinions are encouraged, debate is invited, but flaming is forbidden. Tech help is important, but the study of technique is more interesting. Conversations and messages regarding a photographer's passion for the art, real and surreal are most welcome. Stories about and for the quest of the perfect shot would be fine. Words in praise of a mentor would be better still. Whatever level of interest, passion or convention, regard this group as a haven for your art.

No comments: